Alexander Mackenzie (1923-2002) was born in Liverpool on 9th April 1923. He studied at Liverpool School of Art before moving permanently to Newlyn, Cornwall in 1950, where he became one of the St. Ives group of artists and a member of the Penwith Society. He taught art in Penzance from 1951 to 1964. Mackenzie then was made Head of Department of Fine Art at the Plymouth Art College until 1984. In 1986 he moved to Penzance where he lived and worked until his death in 2002. Mackenzie had three one-man exhibitions at the Waddington Gallery (London) in 1959, 1961 and 1963 and two at Durlacher Fine Art (New York) in 1960 and 1962, City Art Gallery, Plymouth, 1965, Newlyn Art Gallery, 1985 and Festival Gallery, Bath, 1982. A recent exhibition at Austin/Desmond Fine Art (London) was a great success. He was also included in many group exhibitions all over the world, including at the Whitechapel Art Gallery 1959, 21st Watercolour Biennial, Brooklyn Museum, New York, 1969; Premio Marzotto International Exhibition, Rome, 1962, St Ives 1939 – 1964, Tate Gallery, 1985 and Saint Ives, Montpelier Sandelson, 1995. Alexander Mackenzie work is included in many public collections including the Tate Gallery (London) and the Arts Council.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Granite - White, 1961