A rare George II giltwood architectural mirror
English, circa 1735
Height: 90 in (228.5cm)
Width: 45 in (114.5cm)
The rectangular double plate set within an egg and dart, sanded and ribbon and flower border; the crest with palm fronds issuing from a scallop shell with a mask of Neptune over a central table with drapery swag hung with flowers and flanked by foliate scrolls; the ornately scrolled base with a nymph mask above a stylised shell and flanked by scrolled cornucopia with further palm fronds
This tablet frame is embellished in the George II Roman manner promoted by the architect William Kent (d.1748). It relates to an Apollo-headed mirror that was supplied in the 1730s for Ragley Hall, Worcestershire, while its mask displayed in a feathered scalloped cartouche relates to that of a mirror supplied in the 1730s to Frederick Prince of Wales (see R. Edwards, ed., The Shorter Dictionary of English Furniture, London, 1964, pp. 363-364, figs.40-41).
A related mirror possibly made for Sir Richard Hoare, of Barns Elms by William Linnell and now at Stourhead is illustrated in H. Hayward and P. Kirkham, William and John Linnell, London, 1980, vol.II, p.92, fig.177. Another surmounted by a shell cartouche with Neptune mask was sold by the late Mrs. S. Winkworth, Sotheby's London, 26 May 1967.