Denis Mitchell

(1912 - 1993)

Gunwallow, 1975

REF873

Height: 28 1/4 in (71.5 cm)
Width: 35 in (90 cm)
Depth: 7 3/4 in (20 cm)

Gunwalloe is a village on the Peninsula in Cornwall. Church Cove along the coast has a dramatic shape which may be the influence for this composition. 

 

PROVENANCE
Private Collection, Switzerland 
Alwin Gallery, London 

SOLD
+44 20 7584 2200
LITERATURE

Marjorie Parr Gallery, London; Alwin Gallery, London; Festival Gallery, Bath; Glynn Vivian Art Gallery, Swansea
 
Illustrated in Glynn Vivian Gallery Catalogue, (1979)

ARTIST'S BIOGRAPHY

Denis Mitchell was born in Wealdstone, Middlesex on 30th June 1912. He took evening classes at the Swansea College of Art in 1930 before moving to Barnoon, St Ives. After various jobs such as tin minor and fisherman in the subsequent years, Mitchell was an assistant to Barbara Hepworth from 1949 to 1959, during which time he started to sculpt himself, first only in wood. In 1949 he co-founded the Penwith Society. In 1959 he executed his first bronze sculptures. In 1960 he became a part-time teacher at both the Penzance Grammar School and Redruth School of Art, but he stopped teaching again in 1967 in order to sculpt full-time. Denis Mitchell won the Arts Council Award in 1966. He moved to Newlyn in 1969, where he lived until his death in 1993. He was made a member of the Board of Governors, Plymouth Art College in 1973 and of the Falmouth School of Art 1977. Between 1957 and 1993 various exhibitions of Denis Mitchell's work were held at the Waddington Galleries, London, Bianchini Gallery New York, Deborah Sherman Gallery, Chicago and the Penwith Gallery, St Ives, among others. His work was also included in the Tate Gallery St Ives' opening Exhibition in 1993, where examples of his work can still be found

Denis Mitchell

Gunwallow, 1975




















Denis Mitchell

Gunwallow, 1975