Cabinets

  - A George II Mahogany and Parcel Gilt Breakfront Secretaire Cabinet

Attributed to William Hallett

A George II Mahogany and Parcel Gilt Breakfront Secretaire Cabinet Attributed to William Hallett

English, circa 1740

Price available upon request

The cabinet surmounted by a broken pediment with central carved and gilded cartouche with pendants of fruit and flowers. The parcel gilded cornice, carved with Virtruvian scrolls, bead and reel and egg and dart moulding. The central mirrored door bordered by rosette and ribbon moulding with a bold egg and dart frame with concealed escutcheons enclosing adjustable shelves. The secretaire drawer below with parcel gilded guilloche moulding with rosette and ribbon, opening to reveal an arrangement of small drawers and pigeonholes. The lower section with double-hinged doors veneered in well-figured flame mahogany over a stepped plinth with parcel gilded flower and dart moulding.

Height: 92 in (235cm)
Width: 52 in (132cm)
Depth: 19 in (48cm)

The architectural form of this extraordinary mahogany breakfront cabinet is clearly inspired by the influential designer, William Kent (c. 1685-1748) and has distinct similarities to a group of similar bookcases, differing slightly in carved details and the inclusion of either mirrored, glazed or panelled elements. Here, the Palladian style and details of Virtruvian ribbon scroll, egg-and-dart, beaded reed string and flowered-ribbon guilloche derive from ‘chimney piece with over mantel’ patterns in Isaac Ware’s Designs of Inigo Jones and Others (1731).

The strong architectural design, overall Palladian form, the use of superior mahogany and the sharpness of the distinguished carving suggest that it is the work of the pre-eminent London cabinet-maker, William Hallett (1707-81). Hallett, who made furniture for George II, was one of the most fashionable makers of the second half of the 18th century. As a leading maker craftsman of his time, he pioneered the work of esteemed makers that followed, including William Vile, John Cobb and Thomas Chippendale. Based first in Great Newport Street and then St Martin’s Lane, London, he established himself as a great cabinet-maker, leaving an impressive body of work with an outstanding quality of carving and of sophisticated design.

A labelled cabinet by Hallett dated 1763 from the Colonel Norman Colville collection is illustrated in A. Coleridge, op. cit., pl. 69-71. A similar pair of cabinets also conforming to the Hallett’s style was formerly in the collection of HRH Princess Mary, Princess Royal and Countess Harewood. A similar one belonged to Mrs C. Bouverie-Pusey, formerly of Pusey House, Berkshire.


A mirror from Ragley Hall shares an almost identical cartouche, clearly by the same hand.









Ref 852


  - A George II Burr Walnut Parcel-Gilt and Gilt Bronze Mounted Bureau Bookcase

In the manner of Giles Grendey

A George II Burr Walnut Parcel-Gilt and Gilt Bronze Mounted Bureau Bookcase In the manner of Giles Grendey

English, circa 1740

Price available upon request

The broken arched pediment with mouldings of parcel gilding, centred by a carved gilt cartouche and flanked by finials over a mirrored door with shaped gilded mouldings opening to reveal and arrangement of drawers and pigeon holes with adjustable shelves. The well figured fall opening to reveal a shaped and fitted interior with shaped bombe drawers and a central mirrored door over four graduated drawers retaining their original handles and escutcheons, bordered by chased bronze corner mounts with gilt mouldings and raised upon ogee bracket feet.

Height: 96 ½ in (245 cm)
Width: 35 in (89 cm)
Depth: 24 ½ in (62 cm)

Provenance:
With Mallet, London in 1991

Literature:
L. Synge, Mallet’s Great Furniture, London, 1991, p. 50, fig. 44

This sumptuous bureau cabinet with its lower section of bombe form is attributed to the celebrated furniture maker Giles Grendey (1693-1780), whose premises were at St. Johns Square, Clerkenwell.

It is of particularly elaborate form combining burr walnut veneers inlaid with chequer banding with finely detailed water gilt gesso mouldings together with exceptionally fine quality gilt bronze mounts, handles and escutcheons.

Two related cabinets include an example with double-doors in its upper section which was formerly in the Hochschild collection (sold Sotheby’s, London 1 December 1978, lot 13, £300,000 including premium; also illustrated in Lanto Synge, Mallet’s Great English Furniture, London, 1991, p.49, pl. 43), and another with a single door which was formerly at Little Gidding Church, Huntingdonshire (sold anonymously Sotheby’s, London, 5 June 2007, lot 111, £240,000 including premium.)


Ref 836


  - An Exceptional George III Lacquered and Brass-Mounted Black and Gilt Japanned Serpentine Commode

An Exceptional George III Lacquered and Brass-Mounted Black and Gilt Japanned Serpentine Commode

Attributed to Pierre Langlois

The ormolu mounts attributed to Dominique Jean

English, circa 1765-1770

Price available upon request

The shaped serpentine top decorated with an arrangement of oval panels of Chinese lacquer, depicting scenes of animals, birds, foliage and buildings, bordered by a running cable design in gilt japanning. The edge finished in a finely chased ormolu moulding.
The two serpentine front doors, opening to reveal an arrangement of eight drawers and sides veneered in panels of Chinese lacquer depicting a landscape of villages, bridges and lakes, with an applied ormolu beaded moulding.
The projecting angles and serpentine apron decorated with gilt japanning with applied foliate mounts of acanthus, anthemion and bellflowers, raised on shaped feet with further mounts.

Height: 32 ¾ in (83 cm)
Width: 55 ¾ in (141.5 cm)
Depth: 26 ½ in (67 cm

This Chinese lacquer and japanned commode is part of a highly distinguished group of virtually identical commodes, with two pairs supplied to Uppark, Sussex, commissioned by Sir Matthew Fetherstonhaugh, and at least three to Ragley Hall, Warwickshire, in the collection of Francis Seymour, 5th Marquess of Hertford. All sharing the same serpentine form, and sides with shaped aprons and similar lacquer panels made from imported Chinese screens, framed with distinctive brass or ormolu mounts, they are undoubtedly by the same cabinet-maker.

A similar pair is the celebrated Ashburnham lacquer commodes, supplied to John, 2nd Earl of Ashburnham for his residence in either Sussex of London, which were sold in 1995 for £496,500. (Christies, London, 16th November 1995, lot 67).

Pierre Langlois
(1754-1810)

This magnificent and rare commode shows an extraordinary combination of imported Chinese lacquer panels together with exquisitely cast and chased ormolu mouldings of the highest quality attributed to Dominique Jean. It conforms closely to the work of Pierre Langlois, the craftsman of French descent who, by 1760 had established himself at Tottenham Court Road near Windmill Street.

The date corresponds closely with the marriage of Dominique Jean to Pierre Langlois’ daughter, Marie Francoise in 1764. It is known that after the marriage, Jean provided mounts for his father-in-law and worked form premises next to Langlois, in Tottenham Court Road. He also employed Langlois’ son Daniel, in 1771.

Pierre Langlois was a leading exponent of the French style of cabinet making in London. Little is known of his early life and origins, but it is likely that he came from France and settled in London some time before the start of the Seven Years War in 1756. It is known that he began working from his Tottenham Court Road premises in 1759 where he continued to trade until 1781.

During this time in his career, Langlois established himself as one of the leading-cabinet makers in London. The high point of his career was during the 1760s and 1770s when his popularity reached its peak and it was during this time he produced his finest work and that he attracted the attention of some of England’s foremost patrons, with his fashionable clientele including commissions from the Duke of Bedford, Lady Louise Conolly, the Earl of Coventry and Horace Walpole.

Langlois is specifically celebrated for his commodes of this time and developed a highly distinctive style of workmanship and design, which was markedly French in character. His trade card tells us that ‘he makes all sorts of fine cabinets and commodes, made and inlaid in the politest manner with brass and tortoiseshell.’

Ref 819


  - A Fine George II Period Burr Yew Wood Veneered Bureau Bookcase

A Fine George II Period Burr Yew Wood Veneered Bureau Bookcase

English, circa 1740

£28,000

Ref 803


  - A rare George II Period walnut and burr walnut veneered breakfront cabinet on stand in the manner of Giles Grendey

A rare George II Period walnut and burr walnut veneered breakfront cabinet on stand in the manner of Giles Grendey

English, circa 1740

Price available upon request

Ref 796


  - A rare Regency period painted and gilded circular bookcase with Chinese lacquer panels

A rare Regency period painted and gilded circular bookcase with Chinese lacquer panels

English, circa 1810

£135,000

Ref 748


  - A George III period mahogany serpentine commode 
Attributed to Henry Hill of Marlborough

A George III period mahogany serpentine commode Attributed to Henry Hill of Marlborough

English, circa 1770

£98,000

Ref 784


  - An Exceptional Pair of George III Marquetry Bombe Commodes

Attributed to Mayhew and Ince

An Exceptional Pair of George III Marquetry Bombe Commodes Attributed to Mayhew and Ince

English circa 1770

Price available upon request

Ref 704


  - A Regency period bronze-mounted mahogany side cabinet

A Regency period bronze-mounted mahogany side cabinet

English, circa 1820

£42,000

Ref 362



My Portfolio